Category Archives: reconciliation
Rajeewa Jayaweera. in Island, 26 January 2019, with this title “Boycott UK Defense Advisor”
According to a recent media report, UK government (GoUK) has recently appointed a Resident Defense Advisor in Sri Lanka after an absence of ten years. The story was accompanied by a photograph of the newly appointed Colonel David Ashman with Chief of Defense Staff Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne taken during a courtesy call paid by the British RDA on the CDS. His purported mission is to help the Sri Lankan military to fulfill the obligations as required by the UNHRC 30/1 Resolution originated by the US and UK and so pusillanimously co-sponsored by the Sirisena-Wickremesinghe-Samaraweera triumvirate.
Having been forced to accept an UNP government by a Supreme Court decision in December 2018 after he had attempted to ditch them in a coup from above in late October, President Maithripala Sirisena utilised the opportunity provided by the swearing in of a new UNP Cabinet under Ranil Wickremasinghe on 16th December 2018 to deliver a sermon to a captive audience of ‘enemies’ who were, ironically, about to enjoy the fruits of victory and destined to assume state power. Sirisena’s Address was delivered in Sinhala and is marked by pathos, recrimination and selective biographical tales from the past that illuminate aspects of Sri Lankan politics.
- “Galle Fort in Better Light. Images from a Professional Juliet Coombe,” 21 January 2018, https://thuppahi.wordpress.com/2018/01/21/galle-fort-in-better-light/
- “The Fort of Galle: Images Past and Present,” 24 January 2018, https://thuppahi.wordpress.com/2018/01/24/the-fort-of-galle-images-past-and-present/May 2014,
- “Burgher Tennis Club in Galle, circa 1928,” 29 June 2017, https://thuppahi.wordpress.com/2017/06/29/burgher-tennis-club-in-galle-circa-1928/
- “Galle Fort in British Times,” 31 May 2014, https://thuppahi.wordpress.com/2014/05/31/galle-fort-in-british-times/
- “Wedding Bells in Galle Fort,” 21 January 2018, https://thuppahi.wordpress.com/2018/01/21/wedding-bells-in-galle-fort/