- Are you Sri Lankan?
- Can you speak in Sinhalese?
- ‘You’re a Burgher? You sure don’t look like one’
- ‘Sounds like a Las Vegas stripper name’
- ‘They get drunk every Saturday and go to church the next day, no shame’
- ‘Burghers? Parents must be divorced then.’
- ‘Lansi no? Probably got the job because of her English and the mini skirt’
- ‘Burgher…. like a hamburger?’
I could continue but the real point I was trying to make is that 70 years after independence, our ethnicity is still misunderstood. Continue reading